3 Million Step Challenge
What is it?
The 3 Million Step Challenge is a monthly City-sponsored fitness challenge. The goal is to help you form healthy habits
Starting March 1, 2021, and running through February 28, 2022, you can join your friends and colleagues for a fun, interactive way to get active and stay connected. Each month via Go365, we're challenging employees and their spouses to take 250,000 steps (that's just over 8,000 steps a day) . If you reach that goal, at the end of 12 months you'll have taken 3 million steps!
Sound daunting? No worries! Our focus is to motivate you to keep active, stay connected, and have some fun along the way. Join for a month or join them all! We will have fun facts, tips, tricks, and perhaps a few mini-challenges along the way.
Oh, and did we mention that you also have the opportunity to earn some awesome prizes (not to mention bragging rights)?
Who can participate?
Anyone with a City of West Allis Go365 account can participate, including spouses and new employees. All benefit-eligible, non-represented employees will have received a Go365 enrollment card in the mail containing your member ID. If you need help logging into your Go365 account use the chat feature on Go365.com or call Go365 Customer Service at 1-800-708-1105.
Remember: You will participate as an individual. That is, there will be no "teams", but you are welcome to organize your own friendly office or group competition to encourage and motivate each other.
How does it work?
Getting started with the 3 Million Step Challenge is easy! Just follow these three simple steps:
1. CONNECT your compatible app or fitness devise to Go365 to start submitting your steps. You can find instructions here.
Remember: By connecting your fitness device, you not only start recording steps for the 3 Million Step Challenge, but you can earn up to 50 Go365 fitness points each day for verified steps, workouts, or other fitness metrics! Don't have a fitness device? Apple Health and Samsung Health are free and can track steps!
2. SIGN UP for each monthly challenge using the Go365 app or on Go365.com by selecting the "challenges" tab. Look for the 3 Million Step Challenge logo to join that month's challenge. Challenges will be labeled "3 Million Step Challenge" followed by the month.
Remember: There are 12 challenges total; The sign up window for each begins two weeks before the start of the month and ends at the start of the challenge. Each challenge must be registered for individually.
3. SYNC your device and log in to your Go365 account at least once a week and at the end of each month to ensure your steps are recorded.
Remember: Just because you see steps on your device or the device's app does not mean the data is available for Go365 to record. Go365 can't record your steps until it can see your data. Here's an example using a Fitbit device:
- You walk 10,000 steps.
- You sync your Fitbit device to the Fitbit app on your phone.
- You've given Go365 permission to periodically check your Fitbit account for steps.
- Go365 posts your steps on your Go365 account.
- Several hours later, Go365 checks Fitbit again to see if there are changes.
Why should I participate?
To build a healthy walking habit, of course! Walking is one of the most accessible exercises, and has been shown to improve mental health and well-being.
For some extra motivation, we're also giving away a number of awesome prizes:
- If you are able to reach 250,000 steps in any 6 monthly challenges, you will earn a $25 voucher to be used on City swag and apparel.
- If you are able to reach the 3 million step milestone, you will earn a $50 voucher to be used on City swag and apparel, and you will be entered into a grand prize drawing (prizes have yet to be determined). The grand prize drawing will be held by the end of March 2022.
- On top of all this, you will have the opportunity to earn up to 100 Go365 fitness points for each monthly challenge; If you reach 3 million steps, you will earn a bonus 600 Go365 fitness points. Go365 points can be redeemed in the Go365 mall for merchandise, gift cards, charities, and more!
Track Your Progress
The City's 3 Million Step Challenge is now complete! Over the last year, participants logged 156.8 million steps and 21 participants reached the 3 million step milestone. Great work everyone!
That's it! We hope you are as excited as we are to start building a healthy walking habit. If you have questions or concerns, please direct them to Human Resources at HR@westalliswi.gov..
The City of West Allis reserves the right to change program rules or procedures without prior notice.
Last edited 03/17/2022.